- 1999 • B.A Religion • Presbyterian College
- 2002 • M.Div. • Columbia Theological Seminary
- 2015 • D. Min. • Columbia Theological Seminary
- 2002-2005 • Pastor of McBee Presbyterian Church • McBee, SC
- 2005-2011 • Associate Pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Myrtle Beach, SC
- 2011-2016 • Pastor of Elizabethtown Presbyterian Church, Elizabethtown, NC
- 2016-present • Pastor of Westminster Presbyterian Church, Columbia, SC
LETTER FROM THE PASTOR
Dear Brothers & Sisters in Christ,
“I am a Child of God!” I grew up knowing this truth because of the love of my family. My parents, Glenda and Charlie Denny, regularly shared (and still do share!) God’s love with my older brother, Jeff, and me. We had regular family devotionals, and participation in First Presbyterian Church in Sumter, SC was an expectation and a joy! In many ways, that congregation was my extended family.
Random/fun facts about me:
I love music – all kinds. My Pandora and Spotify stations range from classical to rap, piano to jazz, Christian Contemporary to bagpipes. I also love to make music singing and playing piano, trumpet, and mostly now guitar.
I love to dance. I met my wife, Alle, dancing the Shag (the South Carolina state dance!). Years later we are still dancing and even taught our son, Charles, how to walk by dancing! Every year I look forward to the Friday night barn dances in Montreat, NC. Montreat Youth Conference Energizers are the best!
I love movies and TV mini-series on Netflix. I am currently watching “M*A*S*H” and “Friends”. Both explore the importance of relationships in times of war, hardship, joy, success, and daily living.
The best part of my day is coming home to my family and hearing my eight-year-old son Charles shout, “Daddy’s home!” Alle and Charles are great sources of encouragement and strength for me.
As a child, I would dress in a red choir robe and preach to my stuffed animals while standing on my children’s Bible. Now I am living that childhood dream – proclaiming God’s good news rooted in the stories of the Bible with passion and energy to those who will listen.
When we were teenagers, my brother and I would pretend to be radio DJs. Little did I know that I would have the chance to be on the radio! Thanks to radio host, Don Arnsan, and the folks at Cool Beach 105.3FM of Whiteville, NC I got to be “The Rev on the Radio” as a periodic guest! I loved it.
My college classmates voted me “Most likely to be a televangelist”. While I have not been on TV, I am active on the web through a blog sharing prayer reflections on scripture: almostdailyprayer.com
My sermons are also available online at revchrisdenny.podomatic.com
- As preacher & worship leader, I am passionate about excellent engaging worship of the whole people of God.
- As teaching elder in the PCUSA, I love teaching the faith through Bible study and spiritual formation.
- As pastor, I seek to extend care to congregation and community demonstrating the love of Christ and God’s presence in times of joy and difficulty.
- As a member of session and presbytery, I embody and encourage leadership for the people of God in the congregation, in the presbytery, and in the wider community.
Rev. Dr. Chris Denny